OK, from the top:
I decided on basswood, since I was a little uncertain if I wanted to devote the time and energy wrestling with walnut or cherry, and I have a lot of decorative stripwood left over from the semi-abandoned dollhouse. What a treat! I can cut it with an exacto-knife!
I got a little ahead of myself and forgot to take any pictures. It looks complicated, what with all that step-back fancy trim, but it’s just a box and about a million 45 degree angle cuts. I made the uprights out of cherry, because I had some nice 1/4″ x 1/4″ stock. They wouldn’t play nice though, so I reinforced the bottoms with what will look like organic decoration, I hope.
The press board slides up and down on the uprights – cool, huh? I’m avoiding thinking about how the brass screw is going through the middle of the crossbar, and where can I find antique brass screws and wingnuts, anyway? Maybe I’ll paint first.
It’s a trade-off, paint vs stain. It can look plastic, or cheap anyway,but I don’t have to worry about glue stains. I used a thinned-down acrylic craft paint for the first coat.
I found a brass screw and wingnut! My father taught me: never throw away a piece of hardware. And I figured out how to accommodate the thickness of the screw.
The screw and wingnut worked out great. I added some brass trim and a couple of coats of varnish, and voila!
My little guy is about six feet tall, so I guess it could go in a dollhouse. Those are three copies of ‘Lost Cities’ in the press. The whole thing was surprisingly easy, so I guess that’s telling me to be more adventurous. Or to have higher standards.
I’ll be making more of these. Still can’t believe I’d never tried one because I thought they’d be too difficult.